The Virginia Association of Local Human Services Officials (VALHSO), formed in 1989, is an Association of Managers, Administrators and Officials who oversee and coordinate an array of departments in the Human Services segment of Local Government in the Counties and Cities of Virginia. Human Services are defined as a broad array of services that are delivered to the public by local government and which may include but are not limited to Health, Mental Health, Social Services, Parks & Recreation, Libraries, Housing and Neighborhood Revitalization, Comprehensive Services, Juvenile Justice and Adult Corrections and other such functions.
What is VALHSO?
- We are an Association of Managers, Administrators and Officials who oversee and coordinate an array of departments in the Human Services segment of Local Government in the Counties and Cities of Virginia
- We formed an Association in 1989
- We formed an Association because among the various associations and consortiums in the state, there was none that addressed the administrative issues of local Human Services officials
- We collaborate to improve the delivery of Human Services to citizens and clients, through sharing of best practices, trends and needs of the people
- We engage in education, advocacy, and influencing public policy in the Human Services segment of government
- We relate to other divisions in local government, as well as other levels of local and state government
- We maintain liaisons with parallel professional and voluntary associations
- We maintain the highest level of managerial excellence, professionalism, and accountability.
The purpose and objectives of this Association are to improve the Human Services delivery to citizens and clients by mutual information sharing, best practices, trends and needs; through education, advocacy and influencing of public policy in the Human Services field; by bridging to other divisions in local government and other levels of local and state government; through liaisons with parallel professional and voluntary associations; and through managerial excellence, professionalism and accountability.
Board of Directors
The Executive Board consists of the elected officers, immediate past president, and committee chairs.
Click the button below to view financial information about our organization available for public consumption.
VALHSO was formed as an official Association in 1989 but its roots started even earlier.
Access helpful and informative resources including presentations from VALHSO Conferences, Meetings, etc.